880th ORD. HAM. Co.: Unit History 1941-1945
C. G-25: Somewhere in England, 1942-1944
17 December 1942-18 October 1943
re-designated 880th Ord. Ham. Co. taking over Heavy Maintenance Shop from 126th.
task seemed to be to repair heavy vehicles and small arms
joined by Jack E. Berg future C.O.
April: Capt. William R. Francis transferred to 622 OBAM.
"weather miserable... plenty of rain." "Tewkesbury was the closest town for passes. It was "off-Limits" for white troops and "On Limits" for colored troops there nights per week and vice versa......".
In June, "the new equipment began arriving... for the anticipated invasion of Europe".
"Production reached it speak in August of 1943." .... "Work was a 8 hour day, 7 day week but 72 hour passes and furloughs were given to break th emonotony. After the rush was finished, the schedule dropped to 6 days per week. Morale excellent. Capt. John L. faricy, commanding."
19 October 1943-6 January 1944
John W. Campbell, O.C.
moved to living in "Hut Muts" "which was an immense change in living conditions.. Throughout the stay in the hangar, all men had lots of colds which kept several men daily from a duty status".
6 January 1944 left Ashchurch for Watchfield Camp, Shrivennham.
Forward to D. Elsewhere in England, Spring 1944
Back to 880 Intro